Food culture of Taiwan


There’s a variety of Taiwanese food. If we want to introduce Taiwan to the world, we have to catch their attention by food.

I think, “oyster omelet” can best represent Taiwan.
It’s acceptable for foreigners, so they might want to give it a try. Also, It is a very traditional food. Oyster omelet is quiet local in Taiwan. You won’t find the same flavor in China.

Well, how do I think about Taiwan’s food culture? I really love Taiwanese food, but I am more interested in the table manners. We have many taboos. Some make sense, but some don’t at all. For example, people in Taiwan think you should “eat as much as you can to show you’re enjoying the food”. But what if I had a stomachache that day? Should I “eat as much as I can” to torture myself? No! If we want to show the host that their food is delicious, we can just say it out loud. They wouldn’t be happy if we ate bunch of food but threw up after the meal.

In short, we don’t have to be superstitious about the taboos. But, having table manners is
still important.

留言

  1. I also think some of the taboos don't make sense, such as "Don't take the last pieces from the serving tray," if nobody eats it, that might be wasting foods!!!

    回覆刪除
  2. I wonder where these interesting taboos come from. It's fun to draw comics about it!

    回覆刪除
  3. The Oyster Omelet is also my sister and my favorite. Moreover, Kaohsiung is a harbor city. We have more opportunities to introduce "oyster" omelets.

    回覆刪除
  4. I think your thoughts about taboos are very "grown up"! Agree that we should just compliment rather than tourture ourselves when it comes to a situation like that. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. People stay healthier that way.

    回覆刪除
  5. If the taboos don't make sense. we all forget it together.And let it vanish in the world.Don't
    let it torture us and our next generation.But some table manners are the very important etiquette.

    回覆刪除
  6. Oyster Omelet is yummy and it tastes special. I like it very much.

    回覆刪除
  7. HaHaHa. You're so funny! Oyster Omelet is really great! It's a delicious food!

    回覆刪除
  8. Oyster Omelet is very delicious and it is my mother's favorite!

    回覆刪除

張貼留言